Zucchini Pizza Boats
A tasty new way to eat zucchini. Recipe courtesy of FoodHero.org.
Enjoy pizza boats for lunch, snack or dinner. You can boost the protein with a quinoa salad and a glass of low-fat or non-fat milk. Why not try other toppings like sautéed onion, sun-dried tomatoes, or mushrooms? For best results, compare sauces when buying to find one low in sugar and salt, that’s thick enough to stay in place.
2 medium or 3 small zucchini
1⁄2 cup tomato based pasta sauce
1⁄2 cup shredded, reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Optional: Italian seasoning blend (no salt added)
Optional: Ground pepper or crushed red pepper flakes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Wash zucchini. Trim ends and cut each in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to gently scrape out soft, seedy center of zucchini.
3. Place zucchini halves in a small baking dish. Spoon pasta sauce into zucchini halves. Top with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, and optional seasonings.
4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until zucchini can be pierced with a fork and cheese is bubbly and brown. Serve warm.
5. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Per serving: 50 calories, 2 g total fat, 1 g saturated fat, 4 g carbohydrates, 4 g protein, 1 g fiber, 150 mg sodium, 156 mg potassium, 11 mg magnesium, 174 mg calcium.