Spicy Tomato Soup
Spice up your night with a flavorful tomato soup!
Recipe adapted from nationaldairycouncil.org.
The DASH diet recommends 2 to 2 ½ cups of vegetables per day. With one bowl of soup, make a complete DASH meal by including a grilled chicken breast, sliced apples, and a glass of fat-free milk. Cooking tomatoes increases the lycopene content, a powerful antioxidant that protects against cancer and heart disease.
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 cup chopped white onion
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 2 teaspoons ground mustard
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• 3 ½ cups fresh plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
• 2 tablespoons unsalted tomato paste
• 1 tablespoon minced garlic
• 3 cups 1% milk
• 1 cup fat-free low sodium chicken broth (or vegetable) broth
• 1 cup cooked lentils
• ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped without stems
1. Heat olive oil in a heavy 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add onion and sauté for about 3 minutes or just until softened but not browned.
2. Add cumin, mustard and coriander, and cook for one minute or until fragrant.
3. Carefully add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and garlic. Simmer until the tomatoes are softened; about 4 minutes.
4. Add milk and broth; simmer, stirring occasionally for about 4 minutes.
5. Carefully transfer batches to the bowl of a food processor or blender. Process or blend until smooth.
6. Return liquid to saucepan and add cooked lentils, stirring for an even mixture. Heat through and stir in cilantro.
7. Season with fresh ground pepper and serve!
Per serving: 230 calories, 5 g total fat, 1 g saturated fat, 34 g carbohydrate, 13 g protein, 7 g fiber, 160 mg sodium, 662 mg potassium, 20 mg magnesium, 197 mg calcium