Southwestern Polenta Bowl
A warm, comforting, and veggie-full remix of the burrito bowl you already know and love.
Recipe created by Melissa Girgis, Dietetic Intern at Oregon State University.
Keep sodium in check by choosing low sodium vegetable broth, unsalted butter, and low sodium black beans. Rinsing canned beans can help reduce salt as well. Dried beans are naturally sodium free.
• 2 cups water
• 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
• 1 cup polenta (dry)
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1 red pepper, chopped
• ½ avocado
• ½ small onion
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• ½ cup cooked black beans
• ¼ cup cheddar cheese
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• Black pepper, to taste
• Cilantro, optional garnish
1. Mix water and broth. Bring to a boil.
2. Using a whisk, stir in polenta slowly to avoid lumps. Continue stirring until thickened.
3. Cover and decrease heat to lowest setting.
4. Simmer 25-30 minutes, stirring every 8-10 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and stir in unsalted butter.
1. While polenta is simmering, saute red pepper and onion in oil over medium heat ~15 minutes.
2. Remove from heat, toss in bowl with black beans, cumin, black pepper.
3. When polenta is ready, divide among bowls. Top with veggie mixture. Add diced avocado, garnish with cilantro and cheddar cheese as desired.
344 calories, 15 g total fat, 5 g saturated fat, 45 g carbohydrate, 12 g protein, 7 g fiber, 370 mg sodium, 460 mg potassium, 108 mg calcium, 80 mg magnesium