Southwest Black Bean Salad
The Southwest Black Bean salad is a perfect side to any meal! Hearty black beans, crispy sweet corn and creamy avocado are the stars in this fresh, easy-to-make dish.
Recipe adapted from: http://www.skinnytaste.com.
This dish is packed with nutrients. Black beans offer a hearty source of protein, the avocado is full of healthy fat, and the queso fresco adds calcium and other vitamins and minerals to the mix! The DASH diet recommends eating at least 4 cups of fruits and vegetables per day. You’ll be well on your way to this goal after enjoying this delicious salad!
• 15.5 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 9 ounce cooked corn, fresh or frozen (thawed if frozen)
• 1 medium tomato, chopped
• 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
• 1 scallion, chopped
• 2 limes, juice of
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 tablespoon fresh minced cilantro
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
• ½ medium hass avocado, diced
• ¼ cup queso fresco (cotija) cheese
• 1 diced jalapeno (optional)
In a large bowl, combine beans, corn, tomato, onion, scallion, cilantro, salt and pepper. Squeeze fresh lime juice to taste and stir in olive oil. Marinate in the refrigerator 30 minutes. Add avocado and cheese just before serving.
Per serving: 90 calories, 3 g total fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 14 g carbohydrate, 4 g protein, 4 g fiber, 190 mg sodium, 216 mg potassium, 31 mg magnesium, 28 mg calcium.