Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Topping
Surprise your loved one with this lightened-up pancake recipe this Valentine’s Day!
Recipe courtesy of Skinnytaste.
Using plain fat-free yogurt and fat-free milk are a great way to lighten up the cream cheese topping in this recipe. If you are watching your added sugar content you a sweetener of your choice, such as Splenda or Stevia, would work in place of sugar.
Cream Cheese Topping:
• 2 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese
• 3 tablespoons plain fat free yogurt
• 3 tablespoons honey
• 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
• ½ cup white whole wheat flour
• ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
• 2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
• ½ tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• ¼ cup sugar
• 1 large egg
• 1 cup + 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• ½ teaspoon red paste food coloring
1. Combine the cream cheese topping ingredients, set aside.
2. Mix the flours, baking powder, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
3. In another dissolve the food coloring with the milk; whisk in egg and vanilla.
4. Combine wet and dry ingredients until there are no more dry spots, careful not to overmix.
5. Heat a large non-stick griddle pan on medium-low heat. When hot, lightly spray with oil to coat and pour ¼ cup of the pancake batter onto the pan.
6. When the pancake starts to bubble and the edges begin to set, flip the pancakes. Repeat with the remainder of the batter.
7. To serve, place 2 pancakes on each plate, then top with about 2 ½ tablespoons of the cream cheese topping.
230 calories, 2.5 g total fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 44 g carbohydrates, 8 g protein, 2 g fiber, 470 mg sodium, 72 mg potassium, 17 mg magnesium, 168 mg calcium