Quinoa with Caramelized Butternut Squash and Roasted Brussels Sprouts
This colorful side dish is packed full of nutrients and flavor!
Recipe adapted from Iowa Girl Eats.
Quinoa is a naturally gluten free whole grain that is high in protein. The grain has a bitter outer coat that can easily be rinsed away before cooking by using a fine mesh strainer and moving the quinoa around with your hand. It’s best to rinse even quinoa that is labeled “pre-rinsed” just to avoid any bitterness in the cooked grain.
• 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
• 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
• 9 ounces shaved Brussels sprouts
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
• Garlic powder & pepper
• 2 cups 1/2” cubed butternut squash
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar
• 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Bring chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan then add rinsed quinoa. Place a lid on top then turn heat down to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees then line a baking sheet with foil. Add Brussels sprouts, 1 tablespoon oil, garlic powder, and pepper to baking sheet then toss with fingers to evenly coat. Roast 15 minutes or until golden brown.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large cast iron or heavy bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar and butternut squash then sauté, stirring every so often – more so near the end – until tender, about 15 mintues.
4. Combine quinoa, Brussels sprouts, butternut squash, and parmesan cheese in a large bowl and then toss and serve with extra parmesan cheese, if desired.
250 calories, 8 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 34 g carbohydrate, 8 g protein, 5 g fiber, 267 mg sodium, 168 mg potassium, 58 mg magnesium, 83 mg calcium