Lentil Confetti Salad
Watch the colors pop in this tasty salad. Recipe courtesy of FoodHero.org.
This recipe marinates over time, so the leftovers can taste even better than the first night. Rice and lentils also make a complete protein for an easy, filling lunch to bring to work the next day. Feel free to add whatever vegetables are currently looking their best.
1⁄2 cup dry lentils
1 1⁄2 cups water
1 cup cooked brown rice
1⁄2 cup reduced fat Italian dressing
1⁄2 cup tomatoes, seeded and diced
1⁄4 cup chopped green peppers
3 tablespoons chopped onion
2 tablespoons chopped celery
5 sliced pimento-stuffed green olives
1. Wash and drain lentils. Place in saucepan, add water and salt.
2. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered about 20 minutes. Do not overcook. The lentils should be tender with skin intact. Drain immediately.
3. Combine the lentils with cooked rice, pour dressing over mixture and refrigerate until cool.
4. Add rest of ingredients, except parsley, mix well.
5. Garnish with parsley before serving (optional).
6. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Per serving: 120 calories, 3 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 20 g carbohydrates, 5 g protein, 5 g fiber, 350 mg sodium, 221 mg potassium, 33 mg magnesium, 20 mg calcium.