Hoppin’ Pear Salad
Spring is in the air! Try this fun twist on pears that will delight every bunny in your family!
Recipe adapted from foodhero.org.
Pears are loaded with fiber and vitamin C, while cottage cheese provides protein and calcium. What a great combo! Try this fun salad as a side dish or snack. To make a complete DASH meal, add an entrée and a glass of milk.
• 2 cups shredded lettuce or spinach
• 4 pear halves, fresh or canned
• 1⁄2 cup cottage cheese
• 8 pieces sliced almonds
• 12 raisins
1. Place about 1/2 cup shredded lettuce on each plate.
2. Place one pear half on the lettuce, cut side faced down.
3. On the narrower end of each pear, make a rabbit face: Poke two pieces of sliced almonds into the pear to make ears. Arrange two raisins for eyes and one for the nose.
4. Place 2 Tablespoons of cottage cheese at the opposite end of each pear half to make a tail.
• Optional: Add a miniature carrot or two for the bunnies to snack on.
• Look in the bulk food section of the store to buy only the amount you need of raisins or sliced almonds.
Serving size = one bunny. Per serving: 90 calories, 1 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 17 g carbohydrates, 5 g protein, 4 g fiber, 115 mg sodium, 210 mg potassium, 15 mg magnesium, 38 mg calcium