Fiesta Bean Salad
Fill up on this fresh salad loaded with fiber, protein and flavor!
Recipe adapted from skinnytaste.com.
Add more veggies such as chopped zucchini, celery or bell pepper to enhance the texture and add an extra punch of nutrients. Perfect for lunch or a light dinner. Also makes a delicious side-dish served alongside BBQ chicken or lean-pork and an 8 ounce glass of calcium-rich milk.
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• pinch crushed red pepper flakes
• 15 ounces can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
• 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
• 1/4 cup minced red onion, finely diced
• 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
• 1 medium avocado, diced
In a large bowl, combine the garlic, lime juice, oil, cumin, and crushed red pepper.
Add the black beans, chickpeas, tomato, onion and cilantro; mix well. When ready to eat, gently mix in avocado and serve right away.
Per serving: 220 calories, 10 g total fat, 1 g saturated fat, 31 g carbohydrates, 9 g protein, 9 g fiber, 360 mg sodium, 604 mg potassium, 7 mg magnesium, 58 mg calcium