Crunchy Avocado “Toast”
A satisfyingly crunchy and flavorful twist on your usual morning toast.
Recipe created by Melissa Girgis, Dietetic Intern at Oregon State University.
Toast with jam is tasty, but sometimes the same old same old gets...well, old! Try this new rendition of your favorite breakfast go-to for a serving of heart and brain-healthy fats plus whole grains. For a protein boost, add a scrambled egg. Eat the yolk, too. There are lots of nutrients in the yolk.
• 2 brown rice cakes, unsalted
• ½ small avocado
• Small tomato, sliced
• Dried roasted red pepper flakes
• Pinch of salt
1. Mash avocado in a bowl with a fork
2. Spread evenly over rice cakes
3. Add tomato slices as desired
4. Sprinkle with roasted red pepper flakes and pinch of salt
200 calories, 11 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 25 g carbohydrate, 4 g protein, 7 g fiber, 170 mg sodium, 670 mg potassium, 23 mg calcium, 57 mg magnesium