Creamy Buckwheat Cereal with Pistachios, Honey, and Fig
Sweet, salty, and warm like a big hug on those rainy Oregon days or cool summer mornings.
Recipe created by Melissa Girgis, Dietetic Intern at Oregon State University.
Getting creative with your morning cereal can be both healthy and satisfying. Look for other nutrient and fiber-rich whole grains to try besides oatmeal, such as buckwheat, amaranth, polenta, spelt, and kasha. Experimenting provides dietary variety which is key for ensuring a wide variety of nutrients.
• ¼ cup 100% buckwheat cereal, dry (Try Bob’s Red Mill)
• 2 dried black Mission figs, diced
• ⅛ cup shelled, salted pistachios, crushed
• ½ tablespoon honey
1. Combine cereal with ¾ cup water in a medium-sized microwavable bowl
2. Microwave for 2 ½ -3 minutes
3. While cereal cooks, dice figs and crush pistachios
4. Once cereal is done cooking, stir, then drizzle with toppings
290 calories, 5 g total fat, 1 g saturated fat, 60 g carbohydrate, 7 g protein, 8 g fiber, 43 mg sodium, 450 mg potassium, 80 mg calcium, 100 mg magnesium